I want you to ask yourself a serious question
How’s your sleep?
If you’re anything like me, the answer to that questions starts out as a laugh, then a yawn, then a few tears.
As a shift worker, my sleep schedule is loosely defined as somewhere between disaster zone and nightmare territory. I frequently go 24-36 hours with zero sleep when trying to come off of night shifts.
NOT SOMETHING I WOULD RECOMMEND.
For you lucky people living in the normal world (please don’t hate me for saying that but in my opinion, you’re very lucky if you work the same hours every day) have you ever considered the fact that you may be sabotaging your progress by having a poor or inadequate sleep schedule.
Here’s a couple of simple and straight forward articles I’ve found that help explain the link between sleep deprivation and your bodies ability to recover from exercise.
Some of the most important concepts include:
- Turn off electronics at least one hour before bedtime to quiet the mind and de-stimulate the senses
- Create a routine by going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day
- Prepare for sleep by relaxing with music, a hot bath or deep breathing or meditation
- Avoid drinking liquids within three hours of bed time to ensure sleep is uninterrupted by the need to use the bathroom
- Avoid caffeine after 3 or 4 p.m. which is a stimulant and may keep you awake
- Take a 20 minute power nap during the day to re-charge
- Don’t exercise vigorously immediately before bed to allow your body enough time to cool down before sleep
- Do some exercise during the day as regular exercisers report an easier time sleeping
- Use your bedroom only for sleep; remove all work
- Write down any worries or thoughts that threaten to keep you awake in a journal or notepad you keep beside your bed
- Replace your mattress every four to five years or get a high quality memory foam bed
Sleep Tight 😉
Strength Training Day a.k.a Bring me the GAINS!
Moving Between Stations
3 x 15 Paralette Pushups – Banded for scaled, boxes and weights for RX
3 x 15 Bicep Curls (stay away from the squat rack…. no there are no mirrors here for you)
3 x 15 Romanian Deadlifts
3 x 4 Candlesticks